Xeroom Features, Benefits & Pre-Sales Questions
Xeroom WooCommerce – Xero Accounts Integration
What it does – Xeroom is a WordPress plug that integrates the WooCommerce WordPress plugin with the Xero online accounts application to create a seamless e-commerce system. Xeroom will automatically post the orders along with all the relevant customer data and metadata generated in WooCommerce into Xero and create new invoices and payments with the correct accounting, inventory, customer, tax and product entries.
Built on knowledge & experience – We have applied our accounting and ecommerce knowledge and added it to with the experience of dozens of our customers to create a truly unique and powerful product. We have invested hundreds of hours of time from our developers and accountants to make it really excellent.
What data does it send? -Xeroom will create new invoices either as draft, approved (to enable further editing or review) or paid. It will post the line items and information to the correct sales, COGS, tax and inventory accounts. The prices, sales taxes, discounts, coupons, product code, description, inventory, reference, customer details and payment information are transferred and taken care of by Xeroom giving far more functionality than currently exists on other similar plugins. It can also update the inventory, product price and description in WooCommerce from Xero or the other way around.
Management and control of the process – Full management of the synch process and parameters is provided to save you time and make it really useful. Synch can take place on checkout or manually with multiple orders being processed in one go. Sales of different products and different geographies can be posted to different Xero accounts to provide useful analysis. Different payment methods can be posted to different bank or creditor clearing accounts for easy bookkeeping reconciliations, as can shipping revenues and COGS. Full control of how and what is automated with management of the posting process and visual order post status for both order and payment sending is provided.
Xeroom Features & Benefits
Xeroom links the two most popular systems for e-commerce and accounting – WooCommerce and Xero – enabling them to be seamlessly integrated. This delivers incredible power to your IT systems as never before as it brings you the missing piece to give you the best of both Worlds. As the market leaders in e-commerce and online accounting both these brands will only get stronger and increase market share over time. This means that they will continue to enhance their offerings consolidating their market positions even more.
Compare the rich functionality of our plugin with other competitive offerings and see what great value we are. We understand that small businesses run on tight margins, don’t have big departments available and have very little time available so need quick tried and tested “off-the-shelf” solutions. We have therefore designed our offerings to give great value and save time and money both now, in setting up things properly to run smoothly and efficiently but also in the future. That’s why we don’t charge expensive high monthly fees like some of our competitors do of $250/month.
Consider the many benefits that Xeroom offers you compared to the competition:
Accounting Integration – Features and Benefits:
- A dedicated WooCommerce to Xero two-way integration link for synchronising data.
- Synchronise order invoices, payments, inventory, customer details (names and addresses), new products, new descriptions, sale items, coupons, discounts, references, VAT/sales taxes from Woocommerce to Xero.
- Instant or Batched – Data can be synchronised immediately or deferred and processed in batches.
- True seamless integration of WooCommerce with Xero not just a flat memo cut-and-paste. All data from WooCommerce is posted into the correct accounts in Xero and so is available for further use and audit.
- Two-way inventory check for a product when ordered.
- Full product inventory synchronizations from Woo-Xero or Xero-Woo on an immediate or timed schedule.
- Invoices can be created in Xero as Draft or Approved status. They can also be created as Paid invoices once the payment has been made.
- Auto or manual completion option to automatically post payments to create a Paid invoice or conversely to prevent such an action.
- Cancelled orders in Woocommerce can automatically generate credit notes in Xero.
- Revenues can be automatically posted to separate breakout accounts by geography or product category enabling great sales analysis in Xero.
- Comprehensive GST/VAT mapping features giving full flexibility about treatment by geography, product type and tax class.
- Product prices can be posted as sales tax inclusive or exclusive from WooCommerce.
- If a product code doesn’t exist in Xero it will create one using the SKU or if no SKU exists then with the product ID.
- Posting of payments by different gateways to separate Xero bank accounts.
- Manually select orders from the Woocommerce order screen for batch posting to Xero – see image below.
- Visual management of the Xero invoice status from the Woocommerce order screen – see image below.
- Secure encrypted communications using dedicated Xero API keys – with traffic light connection status.
- Bulk data loader for historic invoices – perfect if you want to bring your past orders and data into Xero.
- EC VAT reporting for digital goods – country labels can be invoked and invoices posted using them.
- Choice of Woocommerce or Xero to be master for product prices and info.
Non-accounting – Features and Benefits:
- Save hours of time re-entering data from Woocommerce into Xero.
- A tried-and-tested accounting solution developed for small businesses by experienced accountants.
- Coded by one of the World’s top WordPress plugin development teams to the latest security and other standards.
- Six years of development of useful powerful features as driven by our customers’ practical needs and feedback.
- Keep “one version of the truth” and no conflicting accounting information.
- Avoid errors in transcribing data.
- No expensive monthly subscriptions, just one simple low annual fee.
- Unlimited transactions – With no annoying limits.
- Free trial available for 1-2 months for evaluation purposes.
- Multiple WordPress websites can flow to one Xero instance/subscription with one Xeroom licence with sales broken out by different account codes.
- Installation and other Xero services available to provide a complete and quick solution to all your Xero accounting needs.
Xeroom offers a great value, proven intelligent integration that will pay for itself within weeks.
Xeroom Latest Developments
Our vision for Xeroom is to develop it and make it richer in features and more comprehensive in scope until it makes Xero and Woocommerce feel like one stable seamless application. We aim to do two major releases per year, each of which represents a substantial investment of time and money.
Xeroom v2.2.0 – January, 2021
This is a major release with many bug fixes and over 20 enhancements making Xeroom by far the best WooCommerce-Xero integration plugin on the market. If you don’t believe us just compare our features. You might not need them all now but in the future that can easily change so it is worth having them there for when you do. Many are based on useful practical customer feedback to make life easier and quicker for expensive bookkeepers and IT staff. We have put the thought and effort in so you don’t have to. Xeroom will pay for itself very quickly, many times over.
We have spent over 250 manhours of development on this version alone during the last quarter of 2020.
- Canadian customer tax error.
- Deprecated Coupon Code and UnitPrice error.
- Variable product with 3 or more variations not posted.
- Failed orders cannot be reposted.
- Batch loading success message missing.
- OAuthSignatureMethod_HMAC_SHA1 class already in use.
- Credit notes on cancelled orders charging GST twice.
- Guzzle http class conflict with other plugins resolved.
- Various other conflict causing errors fixed.
- Send invoice on order processing trigger – Option so the invoice can be posted once status changes to processing for payment on account at the end of the month.
- Credit note automatic generation – On full or partially refunded orders.
- Product posting to Xero enhanced – Price, GST rate and account to be added to new products created in Xero.
- Licence validation grace period – If the check fails for any reason eg server, comms or expiration then a 7 day grace period to be given before deactivation. The licence is only checked once per day instead of on each order avoiding delays/failed postings at checkout.
- Set custom invoice number prefix
- Set custom invoice reference prefix
- Payment gateway card payment reference – Placed in invoice reference.
- Cancelled orders – Inventory entry reversed.
- Set Xero invoice no using WooCommerce Invoice PDF plugin number.
- Allow payments into credit/asset accounts – Essential for use in clearance accounts that most book keepers use.
- Xero Due Date – Ability to customise the default setting.
- New name mapping options – For company name and email address. Ability to map person name, company name or email to main Xero contact.
- Control of name mapping – Can use new and overwrite or existing Xero name
- Batch processing rate control – Added to prevent hitting the Xero API call rate and number limits.
- Resend an order or batch of orders – To override the control to prevent duplicate invoices from same order.
- Option to include/exclude payment gateways in automatic sending – This will enable the Woocommerce Invoice Gateway plugin to work which adds Invoice payment gateway functionality to your WooCommerce store. This type of payment method is used in B2B with customers placing orders “on account” that then get paid at the end of the month in one go.
- Add PO numbers to orders – Ability to set custom field in WooCommerce to capture this and send to Xero.
- Automatic purchase bill generation –Inventory adjustments caused Xero to create these which has now been prevented.
- Xero Connection Status – Improvements.
- Layout – Improved layout and new logo.
Version 2.1.0 – July 2020
- Installation procedure – simplified.
- OAuth2.0 protocol – More secure protocol used for connections to Xero.
- Ioncube encryption – Removed so code now open for customisation and easier install.
Tested on php 7.4, WordPress 5.5 and Woocommerce 4.5.2.
Xeroom v2.0.8 – May, 2019
Various bug fixes and updated for latest versions of php, ioncube loader, Woocommerce and WordPress.
Xeroom v2.0.7 – 15th March, 2019
Various bug fixes and updated for latest versions of php, ioncube loader, Woocommerce and WordPress.
Xeroom v2.0.6 – 21st February, 2019
Various bug fixes and updated for latest versions of php, ioncube loader, Woocommerce and WordPress.
Version 2.0.5 – 10th Octobeer 2018
- Global Inventory Synchronization – Instead of just synchronizing the inventory for the SKUs being ordered this will provide a synch of all products’ inventories on demand or on a daily or hourly schedule. Synch can be from Woo to Xero or vice-versa. This will be invaluable for businesses that take phone orders that are entered directly into Xero (without going through the website) as well as normal website orders. This also caters for the back-order condition in Woocommerce.
- Send orders and payments in batches – Instead of sending orders automatically at check-out this feature enables a selection of orders to be made on the Woocommerce order summary screen which are then sent to Xero in one go. This is great for those taking feeds of orders from other systems into Woo that then need to be onward processed into Xero. It is also useful for migrations where use of the Bulk Data Loader would be overkill and a few dozen orders can be simply and easily posted.
- Invoice creation trigger – Invoices can be sent manually or automatically on checkout or on completion. This is an alternative to the Auto completion control which is useful for preventing payments being posted automatically which makes the Xero invoice status “Paid” and thus editable.
- Set Invoice Creation Date – Can be date of posting or date of order.
- Country tracking – The customer country is placed in the Xero custom country tracking label. This can then be used for things like EU VAT reporting where different VAT rates are due for different countries.
- Custom no of sales categories – The posting by geography or product category can be increased from 25 to an unlimited no.
- Xero Posting Status – This will be shown on the Woo order summary screen.Bug fixes include the following:
- Bulk data loader limit of 2000 removed.
- Gross prices held in Woo no tax applied – Xero assumes prices are posted as net and so adds on GST which means it is added twice if prices are held gross in Woo. This will fix it to remove the GST before posting so that it will be correct.
- No taxes fix – when no taxes are selected in Woo then Xero should not add on taxes on posting.
- Currency deprecation error
- Cancelled orders at the checkout were wrongly being sent to Xero.
- Rounding errors – will be placed in a Xero revenue ac.
- Free trial licence changed – Button will send a request for a trial licence key to be emailed to the user.
Version 2.0.4 – This was released on 18th July 2018 with the following features:
- Multiple Tax Methods – The ability to handle not only standard but reduced and zero rated taxes on products (for both Woo as the master and for Xero as master). Full support given for the geographic treatment and rates used in each of these 3 methods
- Ability to post different checkout payment methods to different bank accounts in Xero.
- Enforced use of TLS v1.2 for communications security.
- Rounding errors to assist in Xero reconciliations.
- Xero connectivity status button.
- Support for WooCommerce Wholesale Prices plugin.
- Increase in the no of catalogue values or geographies that sales can be broken out by, to 25.
Latest Xeroom Developments – Cont.
Xeroom v2.0 – This was released in March 2018. It contains the following features:
- Ability to post sales into separate product category accounts in Xero.
- Ability to post sales into separate accounts according to geographic zones & regions
- Ability to create invoices as draft status in Xero.
- Ability to post shipping revenues/charges to a separate sales account in Xero.
- Ability to generate credit notes for cancelled orders.
- Ability to repost payments for any failed orders.
- Ability to post orders and payments from the WooCommerce admin screen back-end.
- Notes added to the order when posted to Xero or order cancellations and credit notes made.
- Increased security of code to new WP standards.
- Various bug fixes.
- Encrypted code using the industry standard ioncube for greater security.
Xeroom v1.6 BDL – This was released in November 2017 as a separate version which comes with a Bulk Data Loader (BDL) module. This powerful tool enables an unlimited number of historic orders to be posted to Xero in one go which makes it ideal for customers who are migrating to Xero and want to bring their history with them for the current financial year. You can post all orders or a selection and also choose whether to post each one as a Paid or Unpaid invoice. See here for full details. The BDL version is now bundled into the main version of Xeroom for free for a limited time period.
Future Xeroom Developments
We have a wish list of new features based on feedback from our customers including the following:
- Email Xero invoices directly from WooCommerce direct to customers.
- Multi-currency – depending on demand which has been very small so far (Sept 18) so please email me if you would be interested in this.
- Integration with other WooCommerce plugins – We currently support the WooCommerce Wholesale plugin but will add a feature to post retail and wholesale sales to different Xero accounts.
- Simplify the installation process by creating a mediation platform to post all the calls to the Xero API from one connection.
Download the Xeroom Plugin
Download the latest version of the plugin from the top of the Support page from the menu above.
How to Install the Xeroom Integration
For full installation instructions please navigate to the menu item above. The process appears quite convoluted to a newcomer due to the way Xero works in setting up security credentials – if you follow the step-by-step guide it is not difficult. We have made it as simple as possible. If you are not familiar, patient or confident with the installation, setup, configuration and testing process then please purchase this service from us.
Frequently Asked Questions about Xeroom
How Do I Connect to my Xero Account?
As part of the installation you will need to create a Xero application on your Xero admin page. This is needed to provide the required secure access to your Xero account. The application will generate two keys, a public and private one, which enable secure communications in the form of API calls to take place between your Xero account and your WordPress WooCommerce site. The Xeroom engine manages these API calls ensuring that they do not exceed Xero’s transaction rate and quantity limits which would result in errors.
Comparison With Other Xero Synch Plugins
We believe that we offer overall better value for money in terms of cost and rich functionality. Our many customers agree with us!
Xeroom Invoice Functionality is Richer
Xeroom functionality – This far exceeds that of similar plugins some of whom have tried to copy what we have done. We were the first to offer this application in 2014 and others have since come along to copy. Over the last 10 years we have spent a huge amount of effort developing features that our customers told us were important firstly from an accounting point of view and then from an IT one. Just take a look at our long list of features and compare those to what our competitors offer. If you want a simple approach to start with then many of these can be set at defaults but they provide the ability to expand in the long-term as you learn to get the most from Xero and protect your investment in Xeroom.
Large company SAAS platforms – These are not much more than a generic ETL tool for importing, mapping and exporting data. They are complex and operate outside of WooCommerce meaning yet another platform/app to learn and maintain. They offer little management of the invoice creation process in Xero or management of the process in WooCommerce, no useful settings or respect for the accounting process and requirements needed to get the most out of Xero.
Xeroom Offers Better Value for Money
We are cheaper than most of our competitors and an annual licence is less than the cost of an hour of a typical accountants time. You can find cheaper plugins with less functionality but they are a false economy and will cost you a lot more in time in the long-run. We also have no transaction quotas plus we also provide installation and other useful Xero related services. Our knowledgeable staff can get you up and running into fully productive state saving you money much faster.
We Invest to Make Xeroom the Best Integration Available
Xeroom is our only product so we have a strong interest in making it a success. To that end we continue to invest a lot of money and time year-in year-out in extending and enhancing Xeroom and fixing bugs to make it the best woocommerce-xero accounts integration available. We aim to provide 2 major releases a year, something that WooCommerce and our other competitors don’t do. With Xeroom you will stay up-to-date and make the most of the latest enhancements from Xero as we release powerful new features, always leading from an accounting perspective. Don’t get left behind with a stone-age overpriced “xero integration”!
Xeroom was Developed by Accountants
Xeroom was developed over 10 years by accountants for accountants, unlike the many “half-baked” competing apps that have little accounting thought put into them. We are not just blindly dumping a flat invoice across into Xero. What Xeroom does is to properly integrate the two systems so that Xero will process and post the data correctly and usefully from an accounting point of view. eg the sales and shipping revenues are posted by product or geography to the correct sales accounts, payments to the correct bank accounts and sales taxes to the correct tax accounts for each product whether standard, reduced or zero rate ensuring that the bookkeeping entries are not only correct but save time for reconciliations.
We consider real life accounting processes such as handling payment-on-account customers. Xeroom will generate new inventory line items in Xero if they don’t exist from the data in WooCommerce and provide two-way synchronisation of tracked inventory amounts allowing feeds from other sources such as phone orders, eBay and Amazon. It will also synchronise inventory for all products and SKUs between the two systems on an hourly basis.
Xeroom Code Development Quality
Bringing together three rapidly changing complex applications is no small feat – WordPress, WooCommerce and Xero. To achieve this Xeroom is coded by one of the World’s top WooCommerce plugin development teams who also have experience in developing accounting applications. They are ranked by peers as some of the top professionals who have developed dozen of very popular plugins to the latest development and security standards. The code is written by a senior developer using the latest QC methodologies and thoroughly tested to ensure compliance with functional requirements and reliable operation. Any new release enhancements are also tested on a number of live beta-sites before being released.
Xeroom is our business so we are focused on investing all our effort and a lot of money into enhancing it and making it the best Woo-Xero integration plugin on the market – Nobody else is doing that!
Preparing For Your Xeroom Integration?
You can take out a Xero trial subscription for one month for free. Beware that at the end of it you will not be able to access your data unless you subscribe. Set up Xero to reflect how you want to run and manage your business. You will need your accountant or bookkeeper to ensure that you have a sensible chart-of-accounts and also to guide you on what sales and other reporting is best, set up your sales taxes, payment accounts and control accounts as you would for any accounting system. Finally ensure that all your products are uploaded including the cost of the ones you wish to track and manage the inventory of. In your website make sure that WooCommerce is installed and configured correctly and also that your products are created. You can upload the same list to both systems.
Starting Your Xeroom Installation
Please follow the Getting Started page. Below is an example of some of the settings available to you. If you don’t understand them then please seek input from your accountant or bookkeeper.
What version of WooCommerce does Xeroom work on?
Xeroom is running live on a number of our own commercial sites and so it always kept up-to-date with the latest versions of both WooCommerce, WordPress and php. Check the installation page for the latest release version numbers.
What does Xeroom Not Do?
Replication – Our aim is to provide a rich link between WooCommerce and Xero. We are not seeking to recreate any of the WooCommerce functionality in Xero or vice versa. The “one version of the truth” should be in Xero as that is a serious accounting system with full audit trails which WooCommerce is not. We don’t believe that to for example try and copy, back flush and reconcile things like customer payments from Xero back to WooCommerce makes any sense. That would be to have “two versions of the truth” and would take up a lot of resources to manage and maintain for very limited benefit and a risky result. We see WooCommerce as one source of orders/data that flow into the Xero accounting system but which also receives orders from other sources such as telephone orders or retail physical stores.
Multi-site Version of WordPress – Xeroom doesn’t work for this. You can however connect multiple separate WordPress sites to one instance of Xero by using the same credentials so again Xero can act as your receptacle for orders from multiple sources. You can also map the sales from each site to a different account in Xero so that you get sales reporting broken out by business.
Multi-currency – Other than in base currency mode Xeroom doesn’t support this version of Xero.
Other Pre-Sales Questions
1. Why is your listing on WordPress.org repository suspended? – When we originally listed on their repository in 2016 we offered a free encoded version and like many other plugins we were not aware that they didn’t permit commercial plugins nor encoded ones. We therefore had to suspend our listing but left it in place due to the positive reviews and useful support info that had built up over time. At that time we launched and developed this website. We have since stopped encoding Xeroom and no longer offer a free version. We not offer a 30-Day money back trial.
2. Why does your support bulletin board have no recent activity? – Early in 2020 we stated a new help desk system from which will grow a new knowledgebase. Support requests are now all ticketed to avoid delays and being missed which is what happens with emails and bulletin boards. The new knowledgebase will be launched in 2021 and the old board migrated over.
3.Why is your licence price higher than WooCommerce’s Xero plugin? – Their plugin is not actually written by WooCommerce but by a third party. We believe that we offer a lot more functionality and features as a result of being in the market longer, investing a lot more time and money into the product responding to our customer’s requests. You get what you pay for and a lot of our business comes from people who have bought the cheap plugin only to find it doesn’t do what they want in a reliable way. If your time is valuable then don’t waste it! We believe that our price – which is less than an hour of an accountant’s time – offers excellent value which will more than pay for itself many times over. It gives us sufficient to provide the investment needed to take the product forward and provide a good level of support neither of which seems to happen with WooCommerce’s Xero plugin.
4. What things makes Xeroom better than WooCommerce’s? – Apart from the many useful accounting and inventory features detailed above we also have invested a lot of time in making sure that the link to Xero is robust since the API has a lot of limitations that need to be managed eg we have the Xero API call rate throttle, order batch processing send and resend, debug screen etc. We also offer a range of installation and other related useful services that they don’t offer.
5. Who has coded Xeroom? – Xeroom is coded by WP-Riders one of the World’s top Woocommerce plugin developers who have developed dozens of very successful plugins. WooCommerce’s own plugin is developed by a third party and not by themselves. We don’t know who but we are open about who our developers our as they have a reputation for delivering top quality reliable code.
6. Why are you not Xero certified? – We have tried to join their partner program but it is really aimed at the big boys who can invest millions in large apps and SAAS platforms. Unless we rewrite Xeroom to follow their architecture they won’t certify us. Since we are a small company we don’t have the resources to do that, but they did like our name though 🙂
About Us – History of Xeroom
Xeroom was developed by a small team of well respected WooCommerce plugin developers, accountants and bookkeepers all of whom have been using Xero commercially for many years. The team has a number of chartered accountants and bookkeepers and over 60 years experience in developing and implementing mainstream accounting applications such as Oracle Enterprise Financial Apps, Sage (including SageLine 50) and now Xero. We have been using Xero for over 12 years and were one of the first users in the UK . We have also contributed to some of the core functionality of Xero. We are looking to add implementation partners such as chartered accountants or WooCommerce IT specialists who know Woocommerce and Xero – please get in touch if you are interested.
Xeroom started life 10 years ago as a link between the CubeCart ecommerce platform and Xero for a number of retail websites. It was rewritten 6 years ago not long after WooCommerce was released since nothing else existed at the time that could do this. It gradually continued to develop and we started to market it in 2016. WooCommerce has since released its own copycat version as have others but we have stayed firmly ahead of them and will continue to do so due to the expertise required to develop this type of app. At the start of 2018 we engaged a World leading team of WooCommerce plugin developers to take over development. They have handled the large amount of complex new functionality that we added especially the extensive sales tax, order posting management and full inventory synchronisation features.
We are focused on and dedicated to WooCommerce that now has over 40 million commercial sites as well as to Xero, which we see as dominating the online SAAS market and now has 2 million users Worldwide. We don’t touch other accounting apps or ecommerce systems as we believe that this combination is the “best-of-breed” which will dominate the market in the long run due to its popularity. Our future vision for Xeroom is to work with Xero to extend its functionality into new areas not currently addressed such as business intelligence thus adding even more value for our customers’ benefit.